Library service in Gibsons began in 1914 as a wooden box of books that circulated to home. The first library building opened in 1955. The current library building was built 20 years ago and since opening its doors library membership and services continue to grow. Last year over 86,000 people visited the Library and collectively borrowed over 171,000 items and more than 5,800 people participated in our programs. The Library is a true community organization: created and governed by the community.