Who we are
Plastic Oceans Foundation Canada is a Federally Incorporated Charity that was founded after the release of the ground breaking film A Plastic Ocean. We are a plastic awareness coalition that uses the power of the media to educate Canadians to “rethink plastic” and inspire behavior change. We distribute the rights to A Plastic Ocean across Canada and distribute other valuable resources, including in school Education Supplements, a student led Social Enterprise Program, and a 40 minute Powerpoint presentation about the effects of plastic waste and our efforts to address this enormous problem. In the last year alone, we have made presentations to over 12,000 students across Canada!
How you can help
All funds raised from this campaign will go to expand our education and awareness efforts in schools and at community events across Canada, as well as new film projects. You can help support our work in the following ways:
Make a Donation
Simply click on the “Back this project now” link and enter the amount you want to donate. We will issue a tax receipt, within 30 days for all donations over $25 CAD.
Buy a T-shirt
Purchase a T-shirt and help support the making of a new film documenting the tragic impact of waste plastics on remote island nations.
Eliminate plastics in your home, community and at work
You can take direct action to avoid disposable plastics where you live, work and play. We have two reward packs, Phase out the bag, and the Plastic free travel kit, that you can purchase to give you the tools to succeed. All proceeds from these kits go towards small grants programs to local organizations seeking support for next level projects. If you feel you have a great project please fill in our small grants application here.
We are challenging 1 million Canadians to go single use plastic free by 2021 along side Andy Sewards “Million bottle pledge”. Purchasing one of these two kits will allow us to better support Andy’s efforts to run across Canada picking up plastic waste on the roadside.
Be a corporate or community leader
Purchase a 10 pack or 20 pack set of plastic free travel kits and distribute them to your staff, customers, or local community members. You can even re-sell them if you wish. Ask us about how you can add your own corporate co-branding to the kits (for an additional charge).
Join us on an expedition
Provide a $50 expression of interest to join us on a plastic free trip to locations across Canada and around the world (with partner organizations) and learn more about the problem and what local organizations are doing to clean our oceans. The $50 will be deducted from any trip you sign up for in the next 24 months.
Here are two examples of trips we are doing in 2019:
TRIP TO TONGA - $1900 CAD
Join us for an unforgettable experience in the Kingdom of Tonga – on the majestic and remote island of Uoleva. VERY LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE.
- One week accommodations including meals and local transport.
- Participate in beach cleanups on the outer islands of the Ha’apai group of Tonga and record data on what is arriving here from global origins
- 1 day Swim with Humpback Whales
- Help build a waste plastic up-cycling centre in association with the University of Christchurch, that will create local jobs to value waste plastics arriving on these shores
- Learn to kite surf in a safe tropical blue water lagoon
TRIP TO TOFINO ON VANCOUVER ISLAND - $2,000 CAD
- Transfer from Vancouver area plus meals and accommodation at an eco-resort
- 1 X 3 hour surf lesson with Pacific Surf School
- 1 X Afternoon presentation from local organizations and their work on waste plastics on our west coast. Workshop on valuing plastics and making homemade plastic prevention supplies
- 1 X Full day excursion with naturalist tour, whale watching, bathe in hot springs cove.
- 1 X 3 hour Kayak tour through Clayoquot Sound.
- 1 X afternoon discussion from local experts, beach clean-up and data collection.
- Transfer back to Vancouver including ferry
Photo by: Adventure Photographer
"Please support this campaign in whatever way you can and help us make this years World Ocean Week the most impactful ever. Together, we can STOP plastic waste from spoiling our beautiful oceans."
Plastic Oceans Foundation Canada